Saturday, May 31, 2008

'Matos and Cheese

Since my hubby is part Italian, he loves Italian food. It's what he grew up on and what he eats. Tomatoes and cheese are his bread and butter! While looking over Joyful Abode's website, I saw a recipe for Tomato Pie. Thought it sounded like it could be a great meal to try out. Did make some modifications, used half whole wheat flour half white flour for the crust. Used oregano and basil as the spices and subbed ricotta cheese for the mayo.

Turned out pretty well, but I bought too many tomatoes. With the extra tomatoes, figured I'd make some stuffed tomatoes to eat with a ham steak last night. Took four medium tomatoes, cut them in half and took out the seeds. Since we had some portabello mushrooms in the fridge, used one and diced it up along with 2 cloves of garlic. Sauteed it in a pan with EVOO (extra virgin olive oil) and some oregano, basil, salt and pepper. Once that was done, put the mushrooms in the bottom of the tomatoes and covered with some sliced parmesan and shredded mozerella. Stick it in the broiler for 5-10 minutes (till the cheese is golden) and viola! My hubby loved the tomatoes, he did say he wished it was more filling, but it's not really a meal on it's own. Enjoy!

2 comments:

April said...

Stuffed tomatoes look delicious. My hubby isnt a big tomatoe fan but I am so I think I will try that one for myself

Maddie and Mommy said...

MMmmm - now I know what to do with the tomatoes that my in laws will load me up on over the summer! Thanks for the great recipes!